Pages

5.15.2011

Heatwave 2011

with a Tampa favorite, singer songwriter Geri X
I volunteered the first few hours of Heatwave, checking in other volunteers and directing foot traffic.  

MIFU ready for the street parade
It was a great job to have, close to the action. I greeted hundreds of Heatwave-goers, WMNF lovers and musicians. 

Beloved staffer Linda Lu and her 60's show cohort Laurie Lu
Community spirit like this doesn't happen as often as it should, but Heatwave was rampant with it. 


This was music fan Jeff Froeschle's 10th Heatwave, and his friend Kate Gorman's first time. Jeff hobbled in at the beginning of the afternoon in the rain, and here they are at El Pasaje Plaza at 7 p.m. still going strong. 

I  recognized Katie Gertz hanging out in the Cuban Club Cantina. The 17-year-old has played alto saxophone in the Patel Conservatory's Jazz Ensemble for the last two years. I saw her perform in the Jazz Jam last week, the only female on a stage full of guys.  


Half the fun of venue hopping was the friends I ran into on the street. I passed WMNF Monday Morning Show programmer Glen Hatchell with Cody Smith of Columbus, Ohio's Two Cow Garage

Back at the Cuban Club I ran into the worn out Heatwave coordinator Dawn Dickens and husband Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment