Pages

2.13.2013

Tampa

Meanwhile, almost directly across the state in Tampa, things are hopping. 


First stop was a house concert in North Tampa with a couple of fabulous Canadians, John Wort Hannam and Scott Duncan. 


Tampa's a great mid-sized town to start off in, but I left (twice!) because there was little room for growth. 


Some ambitious people figure out how to make life work where ever they are, like Dana Pettaway. She traded D.C. for Tampa and started her own businesses, beauty+health+nature

I met her a couple weekends ago while she was hocking her paraben-free wares at the Tampa Downtown Market



At the market I also ran into my old roommate Cooper & his dad. 

As a third culture kid (yes, there's a name for that) who grew up hometown-less, Tampa offered a familiarity I never experienced growing up. I miss that feeling up here in cold, transient D.C. 




I have no idea where I might go in just over a year when I'm facing the end of graduate school. 

L.A., Montréal, C-SPAN. I'm open to anything and it's all very exciting. 


 But whether or not I move back, I've been doing my best to stay in touch with my beloved Tampa people. Like the Ekhos, who had their annual training day when I was in town. 


Contrary to what I learned as a kid, in adulthood, friendships don't have to end when you move away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment